Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The day we met baby Luke - Monday

Thank you everyone for all your comments, it has been so fun reading them!!
I just wanted to document what happened the day we first met Luke:
Monday afternoon we got back from the market (and the peeing in the stairwell incident), came back to the hotel and waited for two hours until Michael, our Chinese guide and translator, knocked on our door to tell us they were waiting for us downstairs with Luke. During those two hours while we were waiting, we put Ivy down for a nap. I tried to take a nap with her, but my heart was beating so fast with excitement, I couldn't sleep at all. Rick busied himself with organizing the hotel room - which was spotless by the time he was done!
After Micheal told us they were ready downstairs, we got Ivy up - she was a bit grumpy because her nap was cut short, we ran to the elevator and took it from the 16th to the 2nd floor. We were all meeting in the dining room where we had eaten breakfast that morning. There was another family in the hotel we had met at breakfast who was also getting their little boy that day. When we walked in, we saw a lot of the Chinese orphanage workers (about 5 or 6), and the other American family. They were already holding their little boy. He was crying and the mom, was bouncing him to try to calm him down. We found out later he had been in a foster home almost his entire life, just like Luke, and he was really having a hard time being away from familiar surroundings and people.
This is the other family who picked up their son, Henry, the same day we got Luke. You can see the mom, Cici, just to the right of Luke, but you can only see Henry's hat.


We just stood there, right inside the dining room, not sure where to go or where Luke was, when all of the sudden, Rick said, 'Lorien, I think that's Luke!" I looked around, and here came this handsome, adorable little toddler running down the only aisle in the room where there weren't tables. I had no idea he would be able to walk, much less run as well as he was doing. I just stared at him and held back tears. We all walked over to him and Rick and I explained to Ivy that this was baby Luke. She stopped being grumpy immediately, her eyes got big, and she kept saying, 'baby Luke, baby Luke'. We had told her about him for so long, I don't know if she really understood that she would actually meet him someday.
All of the sudden I realized that he was ours and that I was allowed to hold this cute little man. I picked him up for the first time. He is a big boy! We need to weight him to make sure, but he feels like he weighs as much as ivy, and he is almost 2 years younger. He has these cheeks that are so soft and squishy, Ivy just kept squeezing them, they were like toys.
Rick stepped away for a minute, then came back and said, "Lorien, that's Luke's foster mom." Before we left Utah, we had asked for permission to meet his foster parents, but were told that it would not happen. I turned around and saw this beautiful lady standing there, staring at us and Luke. I handed Luke to Rick and walked over to her. I tried not to cry as I gave her a big hug and kept saying, 'shei, shei' (I don't know how to spell it, but it means thank you, one of the only phrases I've learned in Chinese). I was wishing I could say so much more to her. I wanted to tell her how much I loved her for raising Luke, and how grateful I was for the sacrifice she was making by being a foster mother, raising him, and then giving him to us to adopt.
After a few minutes we all went back up to our hotel room (us, Luke, Michael, foster mom, and two orphanage directors). - Rick is such a great man for having cleaned that room!
For about 30 minutes we got to ask question about the foster family, what they were like, about Luke, his likes and dislikes, etc. and we got it all on video.
Ivy and Luke played the whole time everyone was talking, they were getting along great. Since then they have had a few disagreements about sippy cups and toys. For two kids that don't speak the same language, they can sure make themselves understood to each other, in arguments and play.
When everyone was leaving, Luke's foster mom (I don't know how to say or spell her name, but we have it documented on his papers) went over to Luke and gave him a big hug and kiss, and left immediately, crying. I know that Luke was loved so much by her and her husband.
Luke and Ivy playing and eating raisins - his favorite snack so far.

4 comments:

C Talmadge Bell said...

Ma also asks for more PICTURES !!!

:>)
:>)
:>)

Katie Bell said...

That is the most touching thing I have ever read! I was crying the whole time I was reading it! I am so happy for you and we pray everyday that Luke will be able to transition well!! We cant wait to see you guys!
Love ya

Allison Bodily said...

Lorien! Oh my goodness, that is such a tender story. I am so happy that he was in a good home and that it was very apparent that his "mama" loved him. I can't even imagine how hard that has been for everyone. I keep checking your blog like 5 times a day, checking for more pictures and stories... He is so stinking handsome! What a beautiful boy. Have such a fun time! I felt so bad that I missed your phone call. I keep showing JJ the pictures of Luke and saying "this si your new little buddy! You two are going to be good friends!"

Rachel Murdock said...

Ahhh...you're making everyone cry including me! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences...it's really helping to open my eyes to the whole idea of adoption and consider it more than I ever have.